We know how eager everyone has been to get their hands on Android 2.3, so we have decided to write up instructions so that anyone may download and install the SDK, then create and run an emulator instance. Full guide after the jump.These instructions were intended for installing the Android 2.0 SDK, but they work just the same for Android 2.3.
Note, the emulator is not intended to duplicate any particular device, so treat this more as a look at some of the core new features of Android 2.3 than an emulation of any current or future device. Also, things that require hardware features are not available in the emulator. No multi-touch in here guys (unless you manage to get two mice to work?).
Enough of the talk, let’s get down to business.
1) Download appropriate file for your system fromhttp://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
2) Extract to desired location
3) Run “SDK Setup.exe” (or the equivalent for your system)
a. If you receive an error message stating “Failed to fetch url…” then you will have to force the Setup program to use http in lieu of https.
Got this error? Follow the steps.
i. Close the “Refresh Sources” window
ii. Cancel the “Choose Packages to Install” window
iii. Select “Settings” from the left side of the “Android SDK and AVD Manager” window
v. Click “Save and Apply”
vi. Close and restart the SDK Setup program
4) Choose the packages that you wish install
Select only the packages you need.
a. If you are only interested in trying out the Android 2.0 Emulator
i. Reject everything except “SDK Platform Android 2.3. API 9, revision 1” by selecting each item then selecting the Reject option
b. If you plan to develop Android applications and Games, you may wish to Accept All
c. Click “Install Selected”
5) Allow the selected packages to download and install then close the “Installing Archives” window
6) Create a new Android Virtual Device (AVD)
These are the settings to emulate the Moto Droid.
a. Select “Virtual Devices” from the left side of the “Android SDK and AVD Manager” window
i. Click “New”
ii. Enter a Name
iii. Choose a Target – Android 2.3
iv. Enter a size for the emulated SD Card
v. Choose a Skin
1. To emulate current hardware such as the G1, MyTouch 3G, Hero, etc…
a. Leave the default value
2. To emulate the Motorola Droid
a. Choose WVGA 854
3. To emulate other devices
a. Choose anything else
vi. Click “Create AVD”
7) Start your newly created Virtual Device
A successfully created AVD.
a. Choose the Virtual Device from the list
b. Click “Start…”
c. Click “Launch”
Just click launch.
8) Allow copious time for Emulator to start up
First startup will take a few minutes.
Thanks to Justin Shapcott for his original instructions.